Being virtual by nature, information technology business systems have flexible base materials —sometimes too flexible. Solutions can be easily customized to fit the specifics of your requirements. This is a blessing for innovation. But again, this is a double-edged sword where customization can be provided in places where the added value is questionable.
• That over-customization happens more than it should.
• That cross-industry standards are of little help in many areas.
• This situation is partly based on a lack of incentive for managing total cost of ownership.
• But it is mostly due to huge incentives from internal and external providers to lock you in for the years to come.
• To recognize where customization lock-ins are more subject to happen and the management tools to prevent them.